Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: 21/Male discoloration of skin around neck/collar bone region

oisa - Wed May 02, 2007 1:14 am

I am a 21 year old male in good health to my knowledge. I am caucasion but of darker complexion since one of my distant father's side ancestors was african. recently I have noticed a discoloration of the skin at the base of my neck and collar bone region.

My chest is much lighter than my neck as i do not tan at all.
The coloration does not simply fade, it is blotchy and irregular.

Could this be the result of pigmentation differences? A lack of sun exposure to my chest? Or perhaps something more serious?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 04, 2007 3:41 pm

User avatar There are many possible causes of pigmentation change in the skin, especially on the neck. It may be an issue of differences in sun exposure or possibly a skin condition such as pityriasis alba (essentially very mild eczema) that causes lightening of skin patches. It may also be a condition known as acanthosis nigricans that causes darkening of the skin, especially on the neck.

Generally, the cause is easily diagnosed by direct examination. I would recommend you see your doctor to be evaluated.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us