Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Steroids and Azathioprine for pyroderma gandernosum

 elephantgirl - Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:19 pm

i have pyroderma gandernosum and take steriods 50mgs and azathroiprine 150mgs daily is there anything else i could do instead of steriods they have made me put on alot of weight
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:56 pm

User avatar Steroids are the most common treatment for pyoderma gangrenosum. In minor sores, a topical steroid may be adequate and would not have the more severe side effects that come with the systemic corticosteroids. Your doctor is the one who will know what is needed in your individual case (dermatologist or other specialist depending on where your disease affects you). You can also take oral anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen if your stomach can handle it. Oral steroids are also hard on the stomach. Some people respond to special dressings to aid in healing and investigation is under way to find better treatments.

IVIG (Intravenous immune globulin) is increasingly being used for the treatment of a range of inflammatory and autoimmune diseases and has been reported to successfully treat cases of PG. It comes from blood plasma, (another example of how blood donation can help people). It acts on the immune system. Some cases that did not respond well to steroids, were vastly improved with IVIG.
Steroids can sometimes work wonders but they also come with related problems and they don't always work for this condition so stay in touch with your doctor to find the best treatment.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us