Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Is it really a ringworm?

ws7678 - Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:09 pm

I am a 31 year old male. I have had a skin problem that has be on going for over 4 years now. It was orginally diagnosed as ringworms. They are located on my penis and scrotum. I have taken presription oral antifungals and used creams. I took the oral medications for the maximum allowed time. The spots have shrunk but not gone away. I have used antifungal and antibacterial ointments on the spots since I first got them and they have got smaller but will not go away/ What could this be and what should I do about it?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:02 pm

User avatar Hi Ws7678,

Ringworm infections (caused by a fungus not an actual worm) can be difficult to treat and can require prolonged (8 weeks or so) of treatment before getting rid of it.

If you have used antifungals for this long and still have the infection it is probably time to start considering some other possible causes. I would recommend you see a dermatologist for a formal evaluation. This way you can get on the correct treatment plan to help heal your skin.