Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Bald spot from bed sore

gconrad73 - Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:55 pm

Age: 34
Sex: M
Past diagnoses: None
Sugeries: Orthodontic Surgery (8-14-2007)
Family History: N/A
Current Medications: None

I recently (late August) was placed on some powerful painkillers for major dental surgery which caused me to sleep rather heavily. After one particular night of hard sleep I awoke to a bed sore on the size of my head roughly the size of an Eisenhower dollar. The pressure sore eventually scabbed over and fell off. As the scab fell away it took all of the hair that was in the bed sore with it, leaving me a lovely little bald spot with some faint, barely noticeable, stubble growing out of it.

Queue almost two months later and the stubble has not grown AT ALL. The skin where the sore was is still somewhat pink and very, very faintly sensitive to touch. Now, I'm starting to get worried and even a little panic-stricken for fear that it will never grow back. So, basically, my question is, will it ever grow back? Is there anything I can do to speed up the process if you think it will grow back? It would not be so bad if, perhaps, it were in an area where I could just comb some hair over it to cover it up but, as luck would have it, it is in just the right spot that my only real option is to wear a hat at all times.

Thank you for your time and your response, it is greatly appreciated as this is really starting to worry me.

Regards,
G.C.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:25 pm

User avatar Hi G.C.,

Most likely this hair will grow back but it may take several months. The hair may not start to regrow until the inflammation has completely subsided.

If it is not beginning in the next few months you may want to see a dermatologist for an evaluation.