Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Linear Epidermal Nevus

kimmad - Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:21 am

I have a 1 year old son who was born with a fairly minor Linear Epidermal Nevus on his left thumb/wrist/and a little on his elbow area. For an LEN, it is not that large, and is actually mostly skin-colored, not dark like I have seen others. Although it has darkened a little since birth. It has been biopsied, and does not affect any connective tissue.

Although somewhat small, I worry about how this will affect him as he gets older. We only went to the dermatologist one time to have it evaluated, and did not have a chance to discuss later treatments. Is there surgery that may be recommended down the line? Or would that just cause more scarring that would make it worse? When people are not warned about it, they make an assumption that he was burned or hurt, so I have to explain that it's just a birthmark.

I should also add that it does not affect the use of his hand/thumb in any way.

Thanks for your insight.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:57 pm

User avatar Hi Kimmad,

It sounds like your son has been properly evaluated and systemic involvement has been ruled out. In this case, the issue really is basically a cosmetic one. It is unlikely to fade as he gets older. It may get a bit larger but may also simply stay the same size. I'm less familiar with this part.

When he gets older, should he decide he doesn't want it anymore it may be able to be surgically removed if it isn't too extensive. Most people by this point simply decide to leave it alone.