Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Bump on scalp

Ixnayjf - Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:11 pm

Hello my name is Josh and I'm 22M. About a week ago I noticed a ovalish raised bump on my scalp. It is about the size of a M&M, and feels flat/dry on the top. It does not hurt or itch; although it does appear to be red and dry as I stated above. Also it has created a small bald spot just around it in a very small radius. Thank you in advance for your time.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:05 am

User avatar Hi Josh,

It may be that this spot is an area of a fungal infection of the skin known as tinea capitis. This is a relatively common infection. It can be treated with a topical cream.

I would recommend you see your doctor for a direct evaluation of this and to get a proper treatment plan.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us