Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Large lump under arm and skin rash spreading?

 shell622 - Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:53 am

I am 45 years old and am male, i have had a large lump under my arm for over 6 months, very painful but now i have a rash going up my arms and on my ankles that is painful to touch....any idea's what it could be?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:03 pm

User avatar Hi Shell622,

There is a very large list of possibilities. My first thought would be that the lump in your armpit is a lymph node that is inflamed. The rash may be a condition called erythema nodosum. This rash is a faint red color but is quite painful to touch.

I must recommend that you see your doctor to have this evaluated as I cannot really give you an answer about this with any confidence.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us