Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Tropical use and skin damage

preity273 - Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:33 am

A few years ago, i used a cream containing 2% Hydroquinone to remove black spots (blackheads) on my skin, unfortunately, at the time, i did not know much about HQ and used it all over the face to clear complexion. After 2 days of use (with sunscreen), my skin started darkening terribly and dark spots have increased, i thought that perhaps time might cure my skin, but it hasn't neither has any other product (i tried this product called meladerm - to remove dark spots after, but that didn't work either). Now i am left to think that i may have severely damaged my skin somehow in those 2 days that i did use the HQ cream, and don't know how to diagnose myself. Please advice.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:50 pm

User avatar Hi Preity273,

Topical hydroquinone is a product designed to suppress melanin production in the skin to help lighten skin. Unfortunately, in some people it does lead to darkening of skin. In particular, darkening of skin can occur with exposure to UV light (i.e. sun or artificial tanning lights). The recommendation is to wear sunscreen but with some people, unfortunately, even good sunscreen lets enough UV light through to get an effect.

I am not familiar with how long this effect will last. I would recommend you see a dermatologist for further evaluation and treatment recommendations.