Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Hyper-sensitive areas of skin

 JasonR - Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:34 pm

Hi. I'm a 30 yr old male in excellent health. However, I have a condition that baffles me. From time to time I get small areas of unbelievably sensitive skin. The slightest touch is almost painful. There is never any discoloration, rash, or change in texture (no bumps, etc), moisture or temperature ... just sensitivity like pain. For instance, at one point the skin on the back of my arm hurt (was ultra sensitive) for about a week (happened more than once in this location). Then another time an area of skin about the size of a soft ball on my side hurt for about a week. Currently I have an area just under my armpit that is ultra sensitive. I've had this on various parts of my body (so far just trunk and limbs and base of neck once). It isn't excruciating or anything and there is never more than two areas sensitive at once, but when an episode occurs, it lasts for 1 to 2 weeks. Like I said, there is absolutely no visual indicator or symptom at all - just the area of ultra sensitivity. It sort of feels like a small localized bad sunburn without the redness, heat or dry skin (I should note these occur without any sun exposure). And the muscle underneath feels fine - no pain or discomfort whatsoever. I've had this condition for probably 5 years now. What could it be?
Thank you for any guidance or suggestions you can offer.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:32 pm

User avatar Hi JasonR,

I'm uncertain as to what could be causing these symptoms. Initially I was thinking this could be an atypical presentation of shingles. Rarely, shingles can present with pain but not develop the rash. However, the frequency and variety of areas makes me think this is less likely.

I would recommend you see a neurologist for a full evaluation. I think this is probably the best route to an answer for you.

If you don't mind, keep us updated as to what is causing this when you find out.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us