Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: acne as a sign of other health problems

nmeador - Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:30 pm

I was wondering if acne could be a sign of other health problems or disease. More so with adult acne or someone who never had acne problems besides the occasional pimple. Also, even though the person has a fairly healthy diet since it's said that certain foods or diets can cause acne problems.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:23 pm

Diet has been shown to rarely be a cause of acne in and of itself, although a healthy diet rich in vegetables can help. For this reason I'm glad to hear you do this. With few exceptions where an individual is sensitive to a particular food, you just don't get it from greasy foods, chocolate, etc. as was once believed. It is usually hormonally caused and related to clogged pores.

Yes, acne can be a sign of other problems - particularly of the endocrine system. Some people have excess androgens and adult acne often responds to entirely different treatments than teenage acne. There are also varying types of acne. A dermatologist should be able to help you get a handle on this and find the best treatment which could consist of hormones, antibiotics, accutane, etc.

Best wishes. I know this is a very frustrating condition.