Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Seborrhea on face, scalp and scrotum

vbobby - Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:43 am

Iam 32 years old male and have a skin problem for the last 14 years. Skin is flaking off from my face, scalp, and scrotum. In the morning I have to clean the affected skin with brush. Then I can see dead skin peeling off from face, scalp and scrotum after the affected parts get wet. There is some bad smell on scrotum. I started treatment from 1997 onwards. In 2006 I consulted one doctor. He treated me for Seborrheic Dermatitis. I did not get any relief. Then I met another doctor in 2007. He treated with Fluconazole, Griseofulvin, Clotrimazole,
Chlorpheniramine, Desonide ....many corticosteroids, but I did not get any relief.
I always feel something is sticking to the skin on face, scalp and scrotum. Some severe burning sensation on the these parts. If that skin is cleaned with brush I feel relief. Then after some time burning and sticky feeling will again start. I cannot express the kind of difficulty I feel then. Even touching these parts is causing me severe irritation. The doctor said it is not a disease everybody is having it. I cannot understand how a person will live with so much burning and stickiness on his face and scalp, srotum. I feel the doctors who treat me failed to diagnose my skin problem properly. The last doctor I met conducted some blood test too. Now the doctor has given me Becosules z
capsules once daily. Can you plese help to properly diagnose my skin disease. I cannot express my sickness in words.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:30 am

User avatar Hello Vbobby,

From your description, the diagnosis of seborrheic dermatitis does seem possible. It sounds like you've tried appropriate treatments. I would recommend you see a dermatologist for further evaluation to see if there is possible another diagnosis that needs a different treatment.

If you have not tried a selenium based shampoo (Head & Shoulders, Selsun Blue, etc.) you may want to try this. You can wash your hair, face and groin with the shampoo to see if it helps.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us