Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Seborrhea on face, scalp and scrotum

vbobby - Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:43 am

Iam 32 years old male and have a skin problem for the last 14 years. Skin is flaking off from my face, scalp, and scrotum. In the morning I have to clean the affected skin with brush. Then I can see dead skin peeling off from face, scalp and scrotum after the affected parts get wet. There is some bad smell on scrotum. I started treatment from 1997 onwards. In 2006 I consulted one doctor. He treated me for Seborrheic Dermatitis. I did not get any relief. Then I met another doctor in 2007. He treated with Fluconazole, Griseofulvin, Clotrimazole,
Chlorpheniramine, Desonide ....many corticosteroids, but I did not get any relief.
I always feel something is sticking to the skin on face, scalp and scrotum. Some severe burning sensation on the these parts. If that skin is cleaned with brush I feel relief. Then after some time burning and sticky feeling will again start. I cannot express the kind of difficulty I feel then. Even touching these parts is causing me severe irritation. The doctor said it is not a disease everybody is having it. I cannot understand how a person will live with so much burning and stickiness on his face and scalp, srotum. I feel the doctors who treat me failed to diagnose my skin problem properly. The last doctor I met conducted some blood test too. Now the doctor has given me Becosules z
capsules once daily. Can you plese help to properly diagnose my skin disease. I cannot express my sickness in words.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:30 am

User avatar Hello Vbobby,

From your description, the diagnosis of seborrheic dermatitis does seem possible. It sounds like you've tried appropriate treatments. I would recommend you see a dermatologist for further evaluation to see if there is possible another diagnosis that needs a different treatment.

If you have not tried a selenium based shampoo (Head & Shoulders, Selsun Blue, etc.) you may want to try this. You can wash your hair, face and groin with the shampoo to see if it helps.

Sorry I can't be of more help.