Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: reoccurring ingrown pubic hair?

soscared - Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:27 am

Is it possible to have a reoccurring problem with ingrown pubic hair, if you have only shaved your pubic region just once? I did this several years ago, and I was a virgin at the time, afterwards I started having these bumps show up. Some seemed painful, other times I didn't really feel anything. They did have a bloody pus to them. I have had 2 sex partners since then and nothing as far as STD wise occurred. Can you give me some info on this. Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:52 pm

User avatar Hello Soscared,

It is possible to develop problems with ingrown hair even without shaving. Shaving tends to increase the risk some if the hair is cut below the level of the skin.

Using a good moisturizer occasionally can help the hair emerge through the skin and resolve the issues. This is unlikely to be related to an STD but if there is any possibility that you may have an STD you should be tested.