Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Red bump near groin

 JeffK - Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:39 pm

I have a red bump/mark in the skin fold where my leg and groin meet. The mark is about 1/8" big and it looks like there is a crack in the center of it. The crack area is shiny but nothing appears on a tissue when I dab it. It is right where the the leg band of my underwear is so it is a bit uncomfortable. Any thoughts as to what it is and what I need to do? Thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:52 pm

User avatar Hello JeffK,

There are a few possibilities. If the crack is more of a central dimple this may be a bump from a virus called molluscum contagiosum. It may also be that you have a clogged pore or hair follicle that has developed into a small bump.

Both these can be irritated and exacerbated by rubbing from clothing, which may be causing the lump to persist longer than it typically would.

If this continues I would suggest you see your doctor to get a better diagnosis and possibly even have it removed.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us