Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Red itchy bumps thoughout pubic area.

 rgr_175 - Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:26 pm

I am a 25 year old male and this is the first time I have seen anything like this. I have 30 to 40 small red bumps from my belly button down to the bottom of my scrotum, on my penis head and shaft, and on my inner thighs near my pubic area. No pus, white heads, or discharge of any kind. The bumps are not clustered and appear to be evenly spread out through out the pubic area. There are significantly more in the pubic hair region than on the penis and scrotum. About six on my penis. Four on the shaft 2 on the head. Began with 1 or 2 in pubic area above penis about 18 days ago. I had unprotected sex with a new girlfriend who claims to have been tested and does not show the same symptoms or anything like it. I have not been with her since I left home 2 months ago. The bumps are not painful at all, but itch like a mosquito bite or flea bite. In fact the red bumps are about the same size as a flea bite. There are no visible bugs or eggs. When I am active like walking or exercising, the itching becomes more intense. The same thing occurs when the area is exposed to hot water in the shower. Initially I thought I had crabs and have used 1% Malathion cream with no effect what so ever. I am not using any new soaps or detergents, and do not shave my pubic hair. The bumps first appeared while I was in Iraq. I'm not sure if there are some localized diseases, insects, or fungi in that area. I was also using community washer and dryers, and community showers and bathrooms. I am now in Israel and can get whatever prescription necessary from the local pharmacy. So if there is a drug you suggest, or you know of a way for me to find out what drug to get, please do so. If there is some information that I have left out that might help answer this question, please ask. I'm stuck, and the number of bumps and itching is getting worse by the day. It will be a long time before I can see a doctor. Please help.
 rgr_175 - Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:32 pm

I'm cured. I had scabies. It's a mite that lives under the skin. There are several prescribed topical creams that kill them. The one I used was called Scabicin. It's active ingredient is Crotamiton 10%. Good luck with your red bumps. Try not to scratch in public.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:01 pm

User avatar Hello,
I'm sorry I didn't get to this question sooner because scabies was my guess! I'm glad you got treatment. Thanks for updating us on your condition.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us