Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Treating burns

 kandy - Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:43 am

I was deep frying chicken yesterday and I don't know how but some very hot oil spilled on me. I quickly washed it off for a few seconds and then dried out my hand. About a minute later, i noticed slight red patches on my hand. One of them is like a big long cloud about 1inch x .75 inch, and the other one is .5 x .5 inch, and about 3 more much smaller spots. Later that night i noticed all those spots became at least 2 shades darker and became brownish-red. I applied some Myciatrin Plus (it has bacitracin) before going to bed. There is no oozing or cut or anything like that. It's almost like it's part of my skin, like i have a disease..

I've read contradicting things on the net. Am i supposed to COVER the area or not with some gauze? Will these brown spots ever go away? Please help!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:27 pm

User avatar Hello,
I'm sorry it has taken a while to answer your question. Hopefully your burns are healing fine by now. The important thing is to keep the area clean to prevent infection. This is the main reason you may cover the area. It is not necessary; just one way to keep it clean and sometimes protect a blister. Of course it is important to change a dressing on a burn regularly so you can actually examine the healing skin for any signs of infection.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us