Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Young female with rapid hair loss.

jumpnshout5 - Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:04 pm

Hello,
I am a 22 year old female who has been had having problems with rapidly thinning hair. I only started noticing my thinning hair about a month ago. I can now pretty much see my scalp. I have noticed a lot of thinning on the top of my head and my part in my hair is growing wider. I did have serious dandruff for a couple of months prior to noticing my hair thinning. I tried both Selsun Blue and a generic T-Gel (although not at the same time) to combat the dandruff. I discontinued use of both the Selsun Blue and the T-Gel a few months ago when my dandruff seemed to have subsided. I am wondering if either of those cleaners or the dandruff could have caused hair loss. I do not use and have not used any sort of chemicals in my hair, such as coloring or perms. I also stopped blow drying my hair when I noticed my hair was getting thin. I consider myself to be in fairly good health. I have no recent traumatic events (with the exception of my hair loss) or elevated stresses nor do I have any hormonal imbalances that I am aware of. My scalp, with the exception of my hair loss, seems to be in pretty good shape. Not too much red or super itchy areas to speak of. As a young female, this has been very traumatic and I am looking for any answers you may have. Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:34 pm

User avatar Hello,
Of course this is worrisome for you and it is not normal so you should see a dermatologist or endocrinologist. It is possible you have some problem with a gland that produces hormones so you need to be evaluated. Chances are they can help you with this.

Good luck,
Debbie

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us