Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: rash on African American skin

 britama - Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:34 pm

I am a 20 year old, non-smoking or drinking female. I am abstinent from sexual activity. Although my skin has been known to be sensitive to certain cosmetics and soaps, the rash I am currently dealing with now is different then previous ones. Now it is in my cleavage area, between my breasts and continues underneath them. It is dark, splotchy, damp, and occasionally itches, I live in a fairly warm region, so I try to wear, breathable cotton clothing; but nothing seems to be working. What type of rash is it, and is it treatable?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:06 pm

User avatar Hello,The condition you mention is common and known as intertrigo and fungus is the cause.Clotrimazole powder application would be most useful to prevent and cure this.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us