Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Painful bump on buttocks?

HelpPleaseee - Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:26 am

Hi, I am 15 and female.

I have this painful bump on on the lower end of the butt crack that covers a little part of the skin near the vagina. It doesn't look red or anything but when I feel it, it's quite bumpy. I had to spend a night in my tight jeans when an emergency came up and I had no change of clothes. This bump had appeared since then- about 5 days ago. But the pain had started only yesterday morning. I couldn't walk properly or sit because of the pain. Because it's not red, does it mean it's not a boil?
I read somewhere that such a bump could be treated by rubbing with soap or applying toothpaste. I didn't attempt the toothpaste thing- but I keep on massaging the area with soap.....Today morning I think some of the bumpiness had dissapeared (not the pain)...but i am not quite sure. I am also not sure if this bump extends to my rectum...cause when I try to feel it, its quite painfull...but my instincts tell me it does not.

I don't get sick quite often so I rarely visit Doctors. That's why I am really shy of going to a doctor with this complaint -_-" (I don't quite like the idea of a stranger feeling around that area) I know, It's a stupid reason, but I can't help it. So pleeeease can any of the brilliant minds here advice me on what I can do???
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:26 am

What you describe could be a boil or an ingrown hair or any one of a number of things that would normally go unnoticed. Unfortunately it's a a pretty difficult spot to ignore. The unwillingness to have it examined is not silly and is understandable, but if some simple measures don't correct the problem in a few days, it would be best to see someone and have it checked.

The most effective things I can think of that might help this to resolve would be taking a long, warm bath, using very gentle soaps and hygenic products on the affected area, and, when possible, allowing it to be exposed to the air (skirts and cotton undies for a few days?). Hopefully this conservative approach will allow it to resolve on its own. If not, please don't allow it to worsen by not seeing a medical professional.

Hope this is helpful. Please stay in touch. Best of luck to you.