Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Painful bump on buttocks?

HelpPleaseee - Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:26 am

Hi, I am 15 and female.

I have this painful bump on on the lower end of the butt crack that covers a little part of the skin near the vagina. It doesn't look red or anything but when I feel it, it's quite bumpy. I had to spend a night in my tight jeans when an emergency came up and I had no change of clothes. This bump had appeared since then- about 5 days ago. But the pain had started only yesterday morning. I couldn't walk properly or sit because of the pain. Because it's not red, does it mean it's not a boil?
I read somewhere that such a bump could be treated by rubbing with soap or applying toothpaste. I didn't attempt the toothpaste thing- but I keep on massaging the area with soap.....Today morning I think some of the bumpiness had dissapeared (not the pain)...but i am not quite sure. I am also not sure if this bump extends to my rectum...cause when I try to feel it, its quite painfull...but my instincts tell me it does not.

I don't get sick quite often so I rarely visit Doctors. That's why I am really shy of going to a doctor with this complaint -_-" (I don't quite like the idea of a stranger feeling around that area) I know, It's a stupid reason, but I can't help it. So pleeeease can any of the brilliant minds here advice me on what I can do???
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:26 am

User avatar Hello -

What you describe could be a boil or an ingrown hair or any one of a number of things that would normally go unnoticed. Unfortunately it's a a pretty difficult spot to ignore. The unwillingness to have it examined is not silly and is understandable, but if some simple measures don't correct the problem in a few days, it would be best to see someone and have it checked.

The most effective things I can think of that might help this to resolve would be taking a long, warm bath, using very gentle soaps and hygenic products on the affected area, and, when possible, allowing it to be exposed to the air (skirts and cotton undies for a few days?). Hopefully this conservative approach will allow it to resolve on its own. If not, please don't allow it to worsen by not seeing a medical professional.

Hope this is helpful. Please stay in touch. Best of luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us