Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: mole that has become very swollen

mseals - Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:01 am

I have a mole under my left breast. Just close enough for my bra to rub sometimes. It kinda looks like a raisin. It is usually flat but does hang from a small area of skin. It will get red some times here lately. Yesterday it became very swollen and is about the size of a small olive. It is red and hard and has what looks like a few water blisters on it also. It does not hurt but does have some heat. I have a doctors appt. in 3 weeks. Should I be worried? Can it burst? Should I try to see a doctor right away?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:08 pm

User avatar Hello,
No, this would not be an emergency. Seeing your doctor as scheduled would be sufficient. It sounds like it could be a supernumerary nipple - quite common, benign and often located in the area you describe.

Best wishes.
 mseals - Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:53 am

I tied a string around it at the base and kept it very clean with alcohol and antibiotic ointment and within a week or so it just fell off. I did that because it was a month before a doctor could see me. It was a bit uncomfortable but now there is just a very small scar and it has healed nicely.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us