Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: painful lump under skin

bluestarr143 - Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:15 pm

I have a few lumps around my naval under the skin. They have no color, and have been there for a few months now. When I first noticed them they were painful, now they are not- you can't see them, only feel them- they are hard. Just a couple days ago, I noticed a large lump under the skin right above my belly button-it is larger than the others, but same consistency. It is very hard, and very painful to the touch. Any ideas of what this might be?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:56 pm

User avatar Hello -

The first thing that comes to mind is that these are perhaps enlarged lymph nodes, which would suggest some underlying disease process, maybe a systemic infection. However, the location of the most recent lump is an unusual place to be able to palpate a lymph node, even if it is swollen.

No other ideas, but I would definitely suggest you have a medical provider check this to be sure nothing serious is going on.

I hope this is helpful.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us