Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: painful lump under skin

bluestarr143 - Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:15 pm

I have a few lumps around my naval under the skin. They have no color, and have been there for a few months now. When I first noticed them they were painful, now they are not- you can't see them, only feel them- they are hard. Just a couple days ago, I noticed a large lump under the skin right above my belly button-it is larger than the others, but same consistency. It is very hard, and very painful to the touch. Any ideas of what this might be?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:56 pm

The first thing that comes to mind is that these are perhaps enlarged lymph nodes, which would suggest some underlying disease process, maybe a systemic infection. However, the location of the most recent lump is an unusual place to be able to palpate a lymph node, even if it is swollen.

No other ideas, but I would definitely suggest you have a medical provider check this to be sure nothing serious is going on.

I hope this is helpful.