Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: ingrown hairs on neck after shaving

anubus84 - Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:13 pm

i get really bad ingrown hairs on my neck and cheeks after shaving. after i shave with either a normal razor or an electric, there are alot of red bumps all over my neck. sometimes they itch, sometimes they hurt, sometimes i don't feel anything from them. my doctor told me to not shave for a month to see if that helps, no such luck. they are still there and were even there, though in fewer numbers, during that period. anything i can do to help stop this?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:05 pm

User avatar Hello,
This is a very troublesome though harmless condition. You may get some relief with a warm washcloth over the ingrown hair. Try shaving in a different direction and using facial scrubs or creams containing acids. You may even find improvement with ibuprofen or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories. A dermatologist might also recommend diluted glycolic acid applied topically. It would be worth seeing a doctor to see if there are any new techniques that are effective.

Best wishes.
 anubus84 - Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:31 pm

thank you very much, debbie. i will look into that.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:18 am

User avatar You're welcome. I hope you can find some relief.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us