Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: rash on chest, red, itchy, painful ?

 jj1234 - Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:43 pm

I have a large rash on my chest. I have large bumps, that are very itchy but once they are itched they seem to almost erode into my skin so that they are below the surface (each bump stays the same size but gets lower than the surface of my skin). I started with just one a few days ago and now i have about 15 large bumps that vary in size. They are very painful and seem to be spreading quickly. What procautions should I take? What could this be?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:54 pm

User avatar Hello --

This could be one of several things: contact dermatitis, eczema, or even a skin staph infection. It's impossible to guess accurately without being able to look at it directly, which is so often the case with dermatology questions, so your best bet is to have this seen by a dermatologist and preferably soon, since it sounds like it could cause some scarring.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you with this, and please follow up with us here as needed.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us