Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: The redness above my eyebrows - what is it, how do I remove

 DJS - Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:52 pm


I have a simple question: what is this red stuff above my eyebrows and how can I get rid of it?

It was not there since the childbirth. I am not sure when it really appeared - when I was 5, or 6. I regarded it as scars ( I use to remember falling of a little tunnel in the kindergarten ), but my mom says it some kind of fungus, and that the doctor (pediatric) advise was to simply use regular skin care cream, and to massage that area above the eyebrows. However, apparently I was to stubborn to be undergoing that treatment every night. I always wished it was not there, but I accepted my appearance with it. Now, I want to be more pleased with my look, and I think removing the redness above my eyebrows would help that.

Here are some links with pics of that area of my face:

Thank you!

 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:48 pm

User avatar Hello,
You did not mention if you have seen a dermatologist about this but if not, that would be the place to start. You should be able to get a firm diagnosis so you could treat it properly. If it is caused by some type of fungus the treatment would be different than if it is caused by a bacteria, contact dermatitis or atopic dermatitis caused by a sensitivity to some outside irritant (allergies/asthma).

Have you tried a mild hydrocortisone cream, available over-the-counter. Whether or not it helps could help the doctor to determine the cause. These days many skin irritations can be treated once you discover the cause.

It could be seborrheic dermatitis. You could try applying small amounts of anti-dandruff shampoo to patches of this scaly rash and then waiting 10 minutes before rinsing off. It also could be a form of psoriasis and a prescription would be required. Avoid using soaps, especially with fragrances and colors. Go with mild cleansers such as Neutrogena or Almay brands which specialize in sensitive skin in case you are reacting to some commonly used health and beauty products.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us