Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Intense Genital Itch

 jaywan697 - Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:20 am

24 year old male
Hasn't used any new soaps or detergents
Currently has bronchitis (taking Z pack for it), other wise healthy (had testicular cancer 2 yrs ago, infected was removed and feeling no effects)

I've very recently been having an intense itch on the scrotum and the shaft of the penis. There is no redness, swelling, bumps, cuts, or burning when urinating. The itch is superficial and unyielding at times (doesn't stop itching even after mild or moderate or extreme itching). The itch some times subsides with sitting and not moving around too much.

I currently am in a monogamous relationship for the last 2+ years. Intercourse was last done on the beginning of september, and the itching started around the 20 of september. I do not think this itch is sexually related, however, am open to any opinions on this matter. I am also very sure my partner has no STDs.

Right now am using an over the counter cortisone 10 itch relief cream. It has some effect. The itch on the scrotum has gone down and become more manageable. The itching on the shaft of the penis has gone up since the start. As of right now the cream has taken the edge off slightly.

What are some other steps I can try before heading the doctor's office (no insurance)? And if anyone has an idea what i may have contracted?

Thank you very much.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:43 pm

User avatar Hello,
The most likely culprit would be yeast - fungal infection. This can be treated with an antigungal ointment available over the counter. Look for such symptoms on the package as "jock itch" and "fungus". You have nothing to lose by trying this first. The area is prone to such infections because fungi love warm, moist areas.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us