Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Palmer Hyper-Hydrosis?

 bostonbabies - Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 am

First I applaud all of you for what you do.

I have been dealing with this problem for years. It's very embarrassing. It has effected practically every aspect of my social life. I would like to go to Church. I would like to hold my wife's' hand when walking with her. It has effected job interviews. I feel as if I've actually lost potential jobs because I slip them a wet clammy hand. I know it's not nervousness although that definitely makes it worse. I can be sitting on the couch alone and my hands will sweat. They will sweat waking from sleep. I don't remember when it actually started. It's affected making friends, going to Church, approaching women, job interviews, and because of recent health problems where I have a lot of encounters with doctors, physical therapists, nurses etc. there as well. It makes me extremely self conscious.

I've never been diagnosed with it technically, but several doctors and self diagnosis via the Internet makes me feel confident that's what it is. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if treatment "Botox injections" could be covered under medicaid. I'm on medicaid because I've had serious orthopedic and back problems and am unable to work. I know there's a surgery but I really don't want another one of those, though I may eventually have to have another due to my orthopedic and back problems. I have some excess sweating in the feet that I'm not concerned with"no odor". Deodorant keeps any sweating or odor under my arms under control.I don't have excessive sweating anywhere else. Please help.

 bostonbabies - Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:37 pm


I'm sorry to reply to my own message, but...I never know how long my insurance will last. Please anyone with info doc or guest would help.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:41 pm

User avatar Hello -

I would expect that if you could find a doctor who would confirm the diagnosis of palmar hyper-hydrosis, that Medicaid would probably cover at least some of the cost of Botox injections, but we really don't have the resources here to know that for sure. The best thing you could do would be to utilize Medicaid to pay for a diagnosis (it shouldn't be too difficult) and then ask them directly if they would pay for all or part of the procedure.

Best we can do here. I hope it helps. Good luck with this.
 bostonbabies - Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:01 pm

Thank you very much. Sounds like sound advice. I'll do it.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:25 pm

User avatar Hi bostonbabies,
I am in agreement with John. In most circumstances when a condition is diagnosed and interferes with daily activities it is often covered at least to some degree by Medicaid. Inquiring with the provider in your state would provide you with a definitive answer. If you need additional resources to assist with medical charges I would be glad to attempt to help you locate some options. Best wishes.
Theresa Jones, RN
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:51 pm

User avatar Thanks Theresa. It's great to have someone with access to additional resources. Much appreciated.
 bostonbabies - Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:39 am

Thank you very much. I have an appointment with my family doctor next week. I'll talk to her about it because I'm not sure if I need a referal or not. I really appreciate all the valueble information. This is a great service that you all do.


| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us