Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Skin on my ring finger will not heal

 HappyLady27 - Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:46 pm

I have wore my wedding rings for two years all of the sudden my skin under them starts brakeing out it gets dry and starts pealing and is very sore. If I peel the skin off it may bleed a bit. once it heels it cracks open again and it itches. I don't know what to do, will I never be able to wear my wedding rings again?
Happy Lady27
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:59 pm

User avatar Hello -

You may have developed an intolerance to the metal in the rings or there may be some other reason why this is happening. What you'll need to do for starters is to stop wearing them for a while, keep the affected site very clean and dry, but not so dry that it's abnormal. If it is too dry, then use a little lotion to soften it, just so the skin is the same as the rest of the hand. Then, if there remains a chronic irritation, try using some hydrocortisone cream on the site for a while. If it starts to improve, keep doing it according to directions for at least a week to 10 days. If it resolves, try wearing the rings again, and see if the irritation returns quickly. If it does, you probably have some sort of allergy to the metal. If it returns slowly, there may be some environmental cause, and you might have to consider taking them off at night.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us