Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Multiple painful pus filled bump on buttock

 dopeyone - Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:47 pm

I have been getting painful pus filled bumps on my buttock, near the perineum, for nearly six months now. A dermatologist diagnosed hidradenitis and said I have had it for years, and the 14 "MRSA" abscesses in my armpit that were surgically drained were all that too. The dermatologist and surgeon that treated those said that it was not hidradenitis when it happened.

Now the doctor treating these bumps is stumped after four different failed treatment attempts. These get so big and painful that I can not sit, walk or lay comfortably. No home treatment has worked, and the one antibiotic they want to try (Vancomycin) shuts my kidneys down even on low doses.

I don't know how else to handle this in such a sensitive area. I just started a desk job three days ago, and today I had a huge one that burst and is excruciating.

Please help me!!!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:10 pm

User avatar Hello,

Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) causes an infection that is difficult to treat with conventional antibiotics.

MRSA infection (skin and soft tissue) results in small red bumps or boils that become larger and in the form of painful pus-filled boils. MRSA abscess usually requires incision and drainage.
Vancomycin is a glycopeptide antibiotics used to treat MRSA infections.

People who do not respond to or can not tolerate vancomycin can receive other antibiotics that are recently approved to treat MRSA and are very effective. Keep in mind that long courses of antibiotic is needed to eradicate this type of infection. It is also better to control other causes that may make you immunocompromised like stress, and be checked for your blood sugar level.

After complete drainage and treatment you should discuss with your doctor how to be decolonized using simple measures at home (like regular antiseptics after showers applied to the skin and nostrils)

So, I advise you to follow up with your doctor and to discuss with him other antibiotic options that are specific for MRSA infection.

Hope you find this information useful.
Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us