Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Marble Sized Lumps on Sides, Back, and Chest

 HBcrouch - Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:40 am

I am a 33 year old non-smoker. About a year ago, I found a marble sized lump on my left side while showering. I kept an eye on it but it hasn't gone away.

Over the year, the lumps have also appeared on my right side, back, and chest. They are not painful and aren't really noticeable unless they are touched.

I mentioned this to my doctor on my last visit and without taking a look he quickly said, these things are totally benign and are nothing to worry about.

I'm a little concerned because the answer was so quick and no observation was made. Is this something I need to have checked out? If so, should I see a dermatologist?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:20 pm

User avatar Hi there --

While I don't think it's necessarily going to require a dermatologist to determine whether or not these are anything serious, if they are not you'll probably need then to see one. A regular -- and responsible -- doctor will look at them, possibly biopsy one, and determine if they are reason for concern. They are certainly unusual enough to warrant a thorough examination and I'd strongly recommend a different doctor, dermatologist wouldn't hurt, to look at this and possibly even biopsy it, unless the nature is obvious upon visual observation.

Any doctor who won't even look at a skin lesion when telling you it's "nothing" really troubles me. Please, whoever you see, insist this be sorted out thoroughly, as there is absolutely no way to know what the nature of them is without at the very least having looked at them. Just based on the description I'd be slightly concerned, and would want to know just what's going on. I hope you'll have them seen soon so you won't have to worry about this.

Please follow up with us as needed and update us once you've had these seen by a serious doctor. Good luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us