Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Rash following my Brachial artery

CirclesCorner - Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:55 am

About a year ago I started getting clusters of red/pink, seldom-itchy small bumps on my wrists and hands. I thought it was dry skin but it VERY slowly spread and didn't start going away until about 4 months ago. Now it is slowly healing and the spreading stopped...

But then about 4 months ago the rash moved to just my left upper arm and has spread more rapidly. (It looks and acts like the same bumps, so I am assuming its the same rash) The pattern looks like it is following my left Brachial artery.

I am going to call the doctor soon, but I was wondering if anyone here good give me a heads up on what this is. Thank you.

*Also, I have had Shingles (Herpes Zoster) about 4 years ago. I see a slight similar pattern but while Shingles was itchy, on my stomach, painful, and short lived, this is none of those things.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:05 pm

User avatar Hello --

Based on your history and the picture, I'd strongly suspect a mild shingles outbreak. This is probably following the radial nerve, which passes through the brachial plexus alongside the brachial artery. Hopefully by now it's been resolved and didn't become painful -- and sometimes these things don't.

Please follow up with us here as needed. Curious as to what the diagnosis was.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us