Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Rash following my Brachial artery

CirclesCorner - Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:55 am

About a year ago I started getting clusters of red/pink, seldom-itchy small bumps on my wrists and hands. I thought it was dry skin but it VERY slowly spread and didn't start going away until about 4 months ago. Now it is slowly healing and the spreading stopped...

But then about 4 months ago the rash moved to just my left upper arm and has spread more rapidly. (It looks and acts like the same bumps, so I am assuming its the same rash) The pattern looks like it is following my left Brachial artery.

Image

I am going to call the doctor soon, but I was wondering if anyone here good give me a heads up on what this is. Thank you.

*Also, I have had Shingles (Herpes Zoster) about 4 years ago. I see a slight similar pattern but while Shingles was itchy, on my stomach, painful, and short lived, this is none of those things.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:05 pm

Based on your history and the picture, I'd strongly suspect a mild shingles outbreak. This is probably following the radial nerve, which passes through the brachial plexus alongside the brachial artery. Hopefully by now it's been resolved and didn't become painful -- and sometimes these things don't.

Please follow up with us here as needed. Curious as to what the diagnosis was.