Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Red Bump On Pubic Area?

 Suratea11 - Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:24 pm

For about 2 months or so I have had a reddish almost bruise like bump on my pubic area. The first time I noticed it I popped it thinking it was a pimple or an ingrown hair since I tend to keep myself shaved. Well needless to say it didn't go away. Its kinda solid most of the time I don't even notice it there, it's never painful. Today after showering I noticed it came to a head again. Its a little sore but nothing I can't brush off. Should I pop it? What is it?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:33 pm

User avatar Hello,
Chances are it is an infected hair follicle or sebaceous cyst. In either case you should not pop it. Use warm, moist compresses and let it run its course. If it gets seriously infected you may need to see your health care provider who could choose to lance it but this would only be done under sterile technique.

Best wishes.
 Concernedguy221 - Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:10 am

I have many small, white bumbs on the shaft of my penis. I am only 13 so I had not been sexually active. The bumbs only hurt when pressure is applied to them. They feel like little rocks under the skin of my penis. I have tried to pop many but only some will squirt out a white, almost creamy substance. I am to embaressed to talk to my mom about it an I don't talk to my dad. I haven't talked a doctor about it. So do you have any idea what they are an how to get rid of them?

-Thanks, Will
 TimDundalk - Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:55 pm

Don't worry - that sounds normal enough. If you are still worried you could post a picture up and the doctors on this site could tell you whether they are normal or not.
But going by what you are describing, it sounds normal (apart from them being sore)

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us