Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: small, slightly discolored bumps on jaw, slowly spreading?

 23yofemale - Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:57 pm


Bumps along my right jaw line, slightly discolored, and seemingly surface only. The most raised bumps are probably a mm raised off the skin, non uniform, and feel hard and smoothish compared to surrounding skin. The skin is sometimes itchy and sometimes not. I moisturize regularly since I began to notice.

It started as a very small patch at the jaw near the ear and seems to be slowly extending along the jaw to my chin. New bumps are small, the same color as my skin, and slightly raised. The red bumps are because I couldn't help scratching, the scratched off skin sort of peels off leaving unbroken, thin skin with noticeable red just under neath. Old bumps take on dark tannish/purplish coloring, but I don't know if that is from scratching skin off.

I asked a clinic doctor about it once and he said it was probably eczema. I've been applying various cremes recommended from my local drug store but the bumps haven't left. I'm not sure how long they've been there because until recently I always had bad skin.

Thanks for your help.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:09 pm

User avatar Hello -

This sounds as though it could be eczema, but it's not really typical according to the description provided. "Probably eczema" suggests a pretty uninterested approach to care, but may be because it just didn't look significant to the doctor you saw. If it's still there and still spreading, it would be good to have an interested physician look at it so that perhaps a prescription topical medication could be provided if needed or at least have this diagnosed properly. From the description there are far too many possible causes to narrow it down here, and the image you'd posted is now removed for some reason. If this is causing you discomfort or is changing it warrants a look by an MD.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you and please follow up with us as needed.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us