Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: hard gray raised nodule with a hole in it?

 kbspots - Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:05 am

I have a hard, grayish blue raised nodule, 3/8-inch, with a hole in it on my back that is extremely itchy and it there is pain associated with it, feels like going down into the muscle in my shoulder. There are surrounding thread-like raised bumps around it and also very very itchy and nearly the whole upper back is itchy. Three years ago had I think a fungal type infection on scalp from a tick bite but no biopsy and area on scalp is still bothersome at times and wonder if this could have spread. I have a picture of the nodule on my back that I took yesterday to see what it looked like. This nodule has been on my back for it seems like at least a year that is worsening with itchiness and pain. I have looked at numerous dermatological pictures and nothing looks like it. But was wondering about skin lymphoma (due to sjogren's) or the possible fungal infection.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:31 pm

User avatar Hello --

Due to the itchiness, pain, and general description of the lesion, I don't think this is cancer, although it is of course a possibility given your history. But also due to your history I'm thinking this sounds an awful lot like a necrotizing fasciitis such as one would associate with certain sorts of insects (ticks and certain spiders). In either case it really should be evaluated by a doctor in real time to be certain and to at least avoid scarring, which seems likely already but could be minimized with proper treatment.

Hopefully this is helpful to you. Good luck and please do follow up with us here as necessary.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us