Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Large Red, Dry Spot on Shin

 confusedandconcered - Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:20 pm

I am an 18 year old male who discovered a large, dark red spot (about an inch in diameter) on my leg about a year ago. I paid no attention to it as it did not cause any pain or irritation. It is simply an oval shaped, very dry (and peeling) red spot. When I got it checked by my regular doctor, he said it was nothing but if it spreads I should get it checked again. Since the summer, the spot has gotten bigger and darker, spreading out further. It seems as though after I shower, it becomes darker. I have been using hydrocortizone cream to try to get rid of it and vasaline to stop the dryness; they do help make the spot lighter in color. The spot has been there for a while now and I am worried that it would spread even more. What can this be? Is there anything I can do or put on it to get rid of it? Thanks for your help.

 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:01 pm

User avatar Hello -

This sounds as though it could be an angioma (superficial malformation of small blood vessels). These are common enough and harmless. but the fact that it surfaced only recently and wasn't there since birth makes it a little more of a concern. Also the dryness is odd.

Given this is one of two odd skin problems you've developed I think it's all the more important that you have these both evaluated by a medical doctor. This is the sort of thing that's almost impossible to identify without an eyeball examination and possibly a culture.

Good luck to you and please follow up with us as needed.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us