Question: Safety of metallic electrodes

jlivingstone463 - Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:21 pm

Hello.

I have a curiosity which arised from a dinner discussion about TENS and electrostimulation. The question is, what metals make inherently safe electrodes for electrostimulation - in other words what are those metals that in direct contact with the skin and with an applied current won't "electrolyze" to create harmful substances?

Thank you very much for this wonderful online service!

jl
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:24 pm

The most popular and least likely to produce unwanted (or potentially toxic) salts is gold, and that is the standard for TENS machines now. Gold salts, in the trivial, residual amounts that might be produced, do not pose any danger and theortically could even be beneficial.

I hope this answers your question.