Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Hard lumps on the bottom of my back - painful!

AaronCP - Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:36 am

Hi. About 4-5 days ago I developed a pain in my lower back. I thought nothing of it took some pain reliever. The hustle and bustle of Christmas Day made me forget all about it, but the day after Christmas, my back was very sore.

At the very base of my back, like right where my buttocks begin, in fact from the very lower back into about an inch in betwen my buttocks there are 2-3 very hard lumps that are sensitive to touch and are causing me a LOT of pain. They've grown to an area about 2 inches in diameter and are so hard they are acutally "closing" my buttocks at the very top. They give a little when you press on them hard enough (causing a lot of pain), but then go back to their original shape. There is no visual evidence of them without close examination. No redness or anything.

Some advice would be greatly appreciated, as my wife and I just lost our insurance after budget cuts at my workplace.
 Dr. Russell M - Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:02 pm

User avatar Hi!

It would be pretty difficult to come to any conclusions without seeing the lumps. As for the pain and inflammation, some over-the-counter NSAIDs like Advil should help. For local clearance, one may apply and keep cotton swabs dipped in glycerine over the lumps for decreasing the fluid within them lumps.

Hope this helps.

bill