Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: symmetrical dry patches above chin and puffy eyes

legeland - Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:13 pm

For the last week and a half, I have experienced puffy swollen eyes and dry flaky skin in the swollen areas as well as two symmetrical dry patches above my chin. I currently take daily vitamins and have been on an accutane treatment plan for the last month. The dosage is 25mg daily. I have quit the accutane for the last 3 days, taken benedryl and it seems my eyes have been a little less puffy, but not much better. Are these symptoms related to accutane or is there something else I should be concerned about? Thanks in advance.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:15 pm

User avatar Hi there --

While these symptoms could be due to Accutane use, it really doesn't sound like that up front. In fact, what you describe sounds to me a lot like some of the more typical signs of hypothyroidism. What clouds the picture is the fact that you're on Accutane (or were, at least). I would have this followed by an MD, or at least check with your dermatologist to see if there's been reports of this sort of reaction to Accutane (I've never heard of it happening, but that means very little). If Accutane is ruled out as the cause then you probably should have your thyroid levels checked and then narrow down from there.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here.
 legeland - Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:43 pm

Thank you I will get it checked out. The symptons have subsided, but I will check with my doctor regardless.