Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Dry flakey acne?

 casacove - Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:13 am

I am 42, went through meno at 24 (hysterectomy). My skin is so dry and sensative that I get blemishes. I have found that Olive oil for about 1 hr in the morning will help reduce the problem. The longer I leave it on the better. Is there anything else out there that I can use for the whole day without smelling like a salad or looking like an oil slick?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:49 pm

User avatar Hello,
I wonder if the blemishes are in response to the oil treatment. It sounds like you are dealing with combination skin - dry, with acne. This can be a challenge. You should use a mild cleanser (don't scrub or use soap). Toners are optional but you should moisturize daily. It may take some trial and error to find something more acceptable to you.

Some moisturizers to try might include Eucerin Cream, Gloves in a Bottle and Cornhusker's Lotion (an old-fashioned reliable standby your grandfather might have used). There are plenty out there that you should not have to use olive oil. As a general rule, creams are more effective than lotions and too heavy on the oil can aggravate the blemishes.

Have you discussed this with a doctor? A dermatologist would be good to advise you about measures that would help the dryness without aggravating the acne. You may also benefit from hormone replacement therapy if you don't already have this so this would be another reason for seeing a physician.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us