Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Swelling, redness & pain on the top of my right foot.

lmironov - Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:32 pm

I had a pretty bad cold/flu and a couple of weeks after the flu, my right foot has a swelling and redness on the top part, in the middle (between the ankle and the toes). The toes and the ankle themselves are ok. It also hurts me.
The blood test indicated that I have hight lymphocyte count and a low RDW.
I am taking Duricef antibiotic, but I am not sure if this is the right drug for treating this.

I am very concerned, could you please tell me what may be causing my foot pain and the abnormal blood test results?

Thank you so much!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:19 pm

User avatar Hi there --

This sounds suggestive of a rheumatic, possibly autoimmune problem. There's an inflammatory process going on locally, and it could be due to an unrealized injury or perhaps a residual problem that was caused by the same virus that caused your flu-like symptoms earlier.

If this doesn't respond to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (over-the-counter NSAIDs like ibuprofin or naprosyn) then you'll need to have this checked by either an orthopedist or rheumatologist. It doesn't seem like an orthopedic problem however, because of the elevated lymphocyte count and low RDW.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck with this and please follow up with us as needed.