Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Dark circles around the eyes

aam_sri - Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:58 pm

I am a software engineer and work in computer for around 12-17 hrs daily. I do have the problem of dry eyes and rub my eye lids often. For the last 2 months, I have developed a thick layer of black circles around my eyes which are very much prominent. I look very ugly because of this.
I am a male, married and 26 years of age.
Any suggestions please.
Thanks!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:43 pm

Dark circles can be signs of dehydration or just hereditary transparent skin and blood vessels showing through. Medications or circulatory conditions that cause blood vessel dilation can also aggravate the symptoms. Nutrient deficiency could also contribute since anemia may mean not enough oxygen is getting to the area. Of course sleep deprivation can result in dark circles under the eyes and the rubbing you describe could be the result of hay fever or allergies.

So, you can see there are a number of possible causes for the condition. A general physical exam to discover underlying causes might be a good idea.

I'm sorry we can't give you a more clear answer but I'm afraid it is more complicated than that.