Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Is there any acid or chemical peel to lighten keloids

 keloidhelp - Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:34 am

i have thick keloids scar on chest and back for 7-8 years. it never dissapeared at all, i taken steroid injections for quit a number of time and doesnt help, i have try silicon gel sheet too, doesnt really help much, maybe the keloid is too thick and raised beyond treatment.

Suffering from keloids is really seem nightmare for me, it affect human emotion, confident level, i really hope that one day there is a gurantee treatment for keloids scar.

Can Trichloroacetic acid (TCA) Chemical Peel help to remove keloids, cause i read on wikipedia site, it say able remove tattoo or even birthmark etc. not sure does it also help for keloid ?

Or does Glycolic , Latic or Salicylic Acid help to lighten and flatten keloids too?

Your Advice is sincerely appreciated :)
 keloidhelp - Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:44 pm

its already been a week, is there any doctor that could help me regarding this issue.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:25 pm

User avatar Hello --

Keloids are a difficult problem, because it is unclear why some people form them and others do not. It's suspected of being a hereditary tendency, some variation in connective tissue makeup. At any rate, there are a number of products on the market that claim to be able to reduce keloid scarring and sometimes they can actually reduce them somewhat, but there's no sure commercially avaiable remedy, and even some medically sound approaches don't totally work, but they are often limited in what they can do. Being followed by a dermatologist who specializes in this sort of problem is the most important step. There's nothing one can find over the counter or at home that's going to work better than what a dermatologist or plastic surgeon can offer, and there is a potential for plastic surgery to sometimes really reduce, if not eliminate the problem.

Unfortunately, it's a really tough thing, and the best doctor you can find, who has a great interest in this, is your best bet. I'd especially avoid chemical peels like TCA, which can actually cause the keloid tissue to become more pronounced.

Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.
 marsman - Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:42 pm

Hello, I have scar located on the left side of my face. I have been to a plastic surgeon twice to have it removed, but no such luck. They removed it, injected me with steriods but it eventually grew back within the month. Don't waste any more $, try to learn to live with it.


| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us