Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Minocycline causing hair loss?

dabears32 - Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:01 pm

I have been using the antibiotic minocycline for about 9 months to treat acne. Lately I have been noticing rather rapid hair loss (I am only 21). Is there any chance minocycline could be causing this. Or is there any chance the hair will grow back or stop falling out when I discontinue use of the drug. I appreciate the advice.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:43 pm

User avatar Hi there --

While there are many potential side effects with this family of drugs, I am aware of nothing in the literature nor in my experience which would result in hair loss. If you're losing hair and also suffer from acne you probably should mention the hair loss problem to your dermatologist, since this may be a conplication of the underlying cause of the acne, and not the medication itself.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.