Question: How long does tinea have to go untreated to cause balding, l

dns6405 - Sun May 31, 2009 10:04 pm

My daughter has been diagnosed with tinea capitis and has significant hair loss. I have taken her repeatedly to her dermatologist over the past 4 months and was told it was sebborheic dermatitis. I finally took her out of the state to a pediatric derm and was told it was a fungus and she is now being treated after a scalp culture. Can tinea develop in 2 weeks that casue balding, lesions, lymph nodes (clavical), and pustules?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:12 am

User avatar Yes indeed,certain type of fungi especially of animal origin do cause florid symptoms at a short time.But take heart,responds well to treatment with oral antifungals.Best wishes.