Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Is the re-excision of a benign nevus really necessary?

_confused_ - Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:02 pm

Doctor,
I had a small junctional melanocytic nevus removed from the medial distal area of my thigh. My dermatologist says it was benign however he wants me to come back for a wider and deeper re-excision of the area. Based on what you read in the pathology report below is it really necessary for me to have more tissue removed for a benign nevus? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

"Within a small circumscribed area there are junctional melanocytes nests. Mononuclear inflammation and melanophages are present in the subjacent dermis. I interpret this as a markedly inflamed junctional melanocytic nevus but since this nevus extends close to a margin conservative re-excision is suggested to ensure complete removal and prevent further growth or any possibility of recurrence."
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:18 am

User avatar Hello,Though this represents a benign nevus extra activity at the dermoepidermal junction is a good enough reason for reexcision and best followed.