Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Small lump on lips

sj71 - Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:17 am

A couple of months ago I noticed a small whitish bump on the centre of the top lip. It didnt hurt or itch or anything but it annoyed me. I stupidly picked at it until it came off. The sore healed and for I guess a month or so the lump was gone but then it came back within the last couple of weeks - with another smaller one next to it.
Fearing the worst, as you do, I went to my doctor for some advide and was told not to worry - he had no idea what it was but since it didnt itch or change colour it was nothing serious and that was that.
Since then I have done a lot of internet research and I think that they could be possibly fordyce bumps. am I right? The only thing I don't get is my age - I am 37 and from what I read they should have appeared much much earlier.
Here's a photo of my lip -
[img]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_M_ZS2tcqa_g/SqY8ltwF6oI/AAAAAAAABHw/isR-juGmP0g/IMGP0287.JPG[img]
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:35 am

User avatar Hello,These are mucous cysts and known to be caused by trauma.They are benign and selflimiting.Best left alone.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us