Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Small lump on lips

sj71 - Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:17 am

A couple of months ago I noticed a small whitish bump on the centre of the top lip. It didnt hurt or itch or anything but it annoyed me. I stupidly picked at it until it came off. The sore healed and for I guess a month or so the lump was gone but then it came back within the last couple of weeks - with another smaller one next to it.
Fearing the worst, as you do, I went to my doctor for some advide and was told not to worry - he had no idea what it was but since it didnt itch or change colour it was nothing serious and that was that.
Since then I have done a lot of internet research and I think that they could be possibly fordyce bumps. am I right? The only thing I don't get is my age - I am 37 and from what I read they should have appeared much much earlier.
Here's a photo of my lip -
[img]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_M_ZS2tcqa_g/SqY8ltwF6oI/AAAAAAAABHw/isR-juGmP0g/IMGP0287.JPG[img]
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:35 am

User avatar Hello,These are mucous cysts and known to be caused by trauma.They are benign and selflimiting.Best left alone.