Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: upper lip skin

 floralluggage - Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:32 pm

I am female and 28. On the skin between my upper lip and nose, there are lots of little 'holes' - not sure if these are pores/ hair follicles/ something else. However, they are very obvious and give the appearance I have a moustache. I do wax my upper lip but even when there is no hair there, these little ''pits' draw attention to my upper lip. I do have hundreds of these holes on my upper lip only. I have never seen anyone with this. There is almost a greenish shadow because of these little holes.
Please could you tell me what they are, why they are so prominent and whether there is anything I can do about them.
I would be extremely grateful for any information.
Many thanks,

Kind regards
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:50 am

User avatar Hello,How long you have been having these pores?From what I can see from your history of frequent waxing a possible diagnosis.Sometimes the hair curls bakwards and irritates the hair follicle.More common in african americans and hispanics it is known as psedofolliculitis barbae,more related to plucking of hair.The ingrown hair leads to irritation and darkening of the skin.External application of clindamycin helps in overt infection but lasers my hold the key for your problem in removing the hair on a permanent basis and preventing further inflammation.Hope this helps you,do consult a dermatologist.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us