Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Inexplicable long term moderate facial swelling

 tnarapr - Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:18 pm

Hello. I'm a 23 year old male writing because I've recently become aware that I have been suffering from facial swelling. Strangely enough, I only realized that I was experiencing swelling in my face because it went away about six months ago (it had been going on for that long I simply thought that's the way my face was). The difference in feeling and appearance was remarkable. However, after a month or two of no swelling, its back.

I'm hoping you might be able to explain ways I might be able to treat the swelling. During the period that it was gone, I had been massaging my own face (for unrelated reasons). I also had a slightly different diet and ate less. I don't know if there is a correlation between these changes and the difference in swelling. I've also become suspicious for some time that I have a food allergy- recently, I've noticed that sometimes after I eat, my face feels like its swelling more than normal. Whether this is imagined or not- your guess is better than mine. Also, just for the record, the words edema and water retention seem to come up frequently while I'm doing research.

If, as I suspect, I need a professional to look at my condition personally, could someone advise me on where to go? I don't know if I should go to an allergy specialist, a general practice doctor, or a dermatologist. Also, since the swelling is not incredibly obvious (unless you had seen my face first when it was not swollen) and I do not have any pain, I feel like that presents a minor problem- how can I frame my issue in a way a doctor will take it seriously? I don't want to be told try exercise and drink more water. I do a ton of both. I'd really like to seriously treat it.

Thanks for your help.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:41 am

User avatar Hello,From your descriptions given it seems the perception is more subjective.The common swelling of face include angioneurotic odemas which are a medical emergency due to involvment of throat area and breathing difficulties.Kidney problems like nephrotic syndrome,heart diseases,and severe protein calorie malnutrition,and hormonal problems like cushings too can lead to face swelling,but associated with other features.In your case there is no apparent illness.Your doctor might test your BP,do a urine anlysis,and blood counts.I do not see any reason to worry but then do get examined just to be sure.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us