Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Dark circles under the eyes

pas915 - Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:36 pm

Doctor,
I have very noticable dark circles under my eyes. Im 19 years old 5'11'' and 150lbs. Im in good health and i eat well everyday. I have little to no stress in my life. The dark circles have a real negative impact on my self confidence I never really go out at night because im too used to getting comments about how it looks like i have a black eye. I don't smoke, i don't do any drugs, I rarely drink alcohol maybe 1-2 times a month if that. Ive tried a lot of the home remedies but nothing seems to make them go away. Its only until last year that i began to notice them. I was wondering if there was anyway to lighten the skin underneath my eyes so that this stupid problem goes away. Thank you very much
-Pete
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:38 pm

There are many causes of dark circles under the eyes, aside from lack of sleep. Heredity and genetics are the main culprits.

Some people have excess melatonin in their skin. Dilated blood vessels that sit close to the thin under-eye skin are another cause. Airborne allergens, which cause blood to pool in the vessels under the skin, can worsen their appearance. Aging and medications can also contribute to the problem.

This is a very common complaint and cosmetics companies are scrambling to create helpful products. Unfortunately they have only produced varying results and there is no sure cure. Dermatologists also treat this condition with injections, at a very high cost. Hopefully, with the high demand for such products, something will come along that is truly effective. Right now it's trial and error. What helps one person may not help another. Seeing a doctor to be sure you do not have any underlying anemia or other physical problem is a good idea.