Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Crater like abcess?

MelinUtah - Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:09 pm

I have a red angry looking abcessed looking lump or bump on my sternum just below the breast line in midline. It has a crater in the middle filled with a white hard substance. I thought it was an abcess and had my spouse try to evacuate it, but initially it was far too painful to touch. I covered it with some medicated bandages for a couple of days and some ichthammol ointment to try drawing the pus out. That succeeded to some degree, he was able to evacuate a small amount of bloody pus-y fluid, but the white hard center still remains and it hurts as if I've been stabbed every time it is touched. What is this? Any information would be appreciated. I recently had a hernia repair of my umbilicus and this sore showed up about 5 days post-op, but I don't think they are related, as there was a hard white calcified sort of bump in the spot where the red raised bump is now.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:37 pm

Thanks for your post.
The description provided suggests a diagnosis of an infected sebaceous cyst(fairly common in this location).This is a cyst arising from a sebacious gland. Another condition which closely resembles this is called as a 'trichilemmal cyst', arising from a hair sheath.
Another rarer possibility is a pilonidal abscess in this area (rare).
If you still feel a residual lump, it is possible that the cust wall remains - so, may need removal by a surgeon. Good luck!
 MelinUtah - Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:13 am

thank you for the information!! After evacuation and air exposure, it has begun to heal and disappear. I wondered initially after it began to heal about ring worm because of the round shape, but that infection site has gone away. I believe it was a reaction to the adhesive in the bandaids I used.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:14 am

Thank you for sharing your progress with us.I am glad that it has healed!