Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Crater like abcess?

MelinUtah - Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:09 pm

I have a red angry looking abcessed looking lump or bump on my sternum just below the breast line in midline. It has a crater in the middle filled with a white hard substance. I thought it was an abcess and had my spouse try to evacuate it, but initially it was far too painful to touch. I covered it with some medicated bandages for a couple of days and some ichthammol ointment to try drawing the pus out. That succeeded to some degree, he was able to evacuate a small amount of bloody pus-y fluid, but the white hard center still remains and it hurts as if I've been stabbed every time it is touched. What is this? Any information would be appreciated. I recently had a hernia repair of my umbilicus and this sore showed up about 5 days post-op, but I don't think they are related, as there was a hard white calcified sort of bump in the spot where the red raised bump is now.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:37 pm

User avatar Hi,
Thanks for your post.
The description provided suggests a diagnosis of an infected sebaceous cyst(fairly common in this location).This is a cyst arising from a sebacious gland. Another condition which closely resembles this is called as a 'trichilemmal cyst', arising from a hair sheath.
Another rarer possibility is a pilonidal abscess in this area (rare).
If you still feel a residual lump, it is possible that the cust wall remains - so, may need removal by a surgeon. Good luck!
 MelinUtah - Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:13 am

thank you for the information!! After evacuation and air exposure, it has begun to heal and disappear. I wondered initially after it began to heal about ring worm because of the round shape, but that infection site has gone away. I believe it was a reaction to the adhesive in the bandaids I used.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:14 am

User avatar Hi,
Thank you for sharing your progress with us.I am glad that it has healed!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us