Question: Silver dollar sized bump on the Scalp

ninersgirl31 - Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:37 pm

I have this bump on my scalp. Itches and is painful. Sometimes soft to the touch. No hair around it. Had a little "crust" around it the other day. Any idea what this could be??
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:20 pm

User avatar Hello,Fungal infection of the scalp especially by animal fungi leads to an inflammatory type of a fungal lesion on the scalp by name kerion.This leads to dime shaped area of hair loss,and a raised boggy swelling many a times mistaken as an abscess and drained.These are typical and respond to antifungal antibiotics.You can get a scraping for fungus or a woods lamp examination done by a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis.Ok?Best wishes.