Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Painful lump underneath skin near genitalia

 ridgedice - Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:57 pm

I have recently had unprotected sex and I am very paranoid, as I should be. I know that it was a mistake and now I'm paying for it. I just need everyone's medical expertise now. I'm not completely sure that these painful lumps were transmitted sexually. There are multiple factors in my life that have changed recently that could be cause these painful lumps. For the past couple weeks, as much as I hate to admit it, my hygiene has not been the most remarkable. I use to take a shower twice a day but more recently I have been waking up late for school and not having time to shower in the morning. A period of two days was never exceeded between showers.
I have also recently started taking Adderall. Though, Im sure this has nothing to do with it, I thought that I should mention it since the medication and painful lumps happened in a close time period.
The lumps underneath the skin started about three inches above the base of my penis, in between my penis and belly button region. They appeared to have dry skin on top of them. This could've been due to me squeezing them. Then as I was fondling with these two small pea size lumps two days after I originally spotted them, I found one at the base of my penis. The one at the base of the penis is larger and is actually painful whereas the lumps 3inches above the base of my penis are not very painful.
The lump at the base of my penis is what raised my awareness and possible seriousness of the problem. The lump appears to be growing but I think it's due to irritation from my clothing and legs. I'm thinking it's possibly MRSA or a type of staph infection but it seems to only grow in the area of my pubic hair. I'm not really sure where to go from here. I have scheduled an appointment at the local "Planned Parenthood" place which is like a clinic for STD's just because I don't have insurance right now and it's much cheaper than seeing my doctor. Plus, its much more simple to communicate about boils near your penis with someone whom isnt your families sole doctor.

The bump at the base of my penis is probably between the size of a dime and a nickel and is raised a quarter of an inch approximately. I would really appreciate any help.

Thank you for your time
 ridgedice - Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:30 pm

I ended up only seeing an RN and she did not seem very informative. When she walked in all she said is " What are we testing you for today? " I explained that I have no idea what is going or if it's even an std and she said "well there's twenty tests we do can so you have to pick one" I continued to further explain that I think there's a good possibility that it's not an std and that she should look to see what she thought it was. Finally, she examined it and I told her I thought it was folliculitis but I was paranoid because I did have unprotected sex 3-4 weeks ago with a new partner. She then agreed that it's probably Folliculitis. She gave me a prescription for Keflex and I asked if warm compressions would help the healing process and she said yes. So Im going to take the Keflex and do some warm compressions and hope for the best. I also decided to do a gonorrhea and chlymidia test since I was there and it was fairly cheap.

Im still very paranoid about it being something other than Folliculitis. Can anyone out there please give me some helpful advice on other possibilities incase this problems continues to occur.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us